- AAM ADMI PARTY: A Revolution in the Politics of India.
Arvind Kejriwal is an Indian social activist and a politician. Kejriwal is a
graduate of the Indian Institute of Technology Kharagpur, where he
studied Mechanical Engineering. He is a former Indian Revenue
Service (IRS) officer and former Joint Commissioner in the Income Tax
Department. He is well-known for his role in drafting a proposed Jan
Lokpal Bill and his efforts to bring and give effect to the Right to
Information (RTI) act at the grassroots level.
Kejriwal won the Ramon Magsaysay Award for Emergent Leadership in
2006 for his contribution to the enactment of the Right to Information
Act and for his efforts to empower the poorest citizens of India. In
2006, after resigning from the IRS, he donated his Magsaysay award
money as a corpus fund to found an NGO, Public Cause Research
Foundation. In 2012, he launched the Aam Aadmi Party (AAP).
The Aam Admi Party completed a year on 26 December 2013. With the
election scheduled on 4th January 2013, Delhi is burning in a political
fire. Who shall win this time? Would it be the experienced BJP and
CONGRESS, or the revolutionary AAP candidates? The fate rests in
the hands of the Indian voters. The political situation is abuzz in Delhi,
with campaigning at its zenith.
Let some interviews with the Aam Admi party volunteers give you the
pulse of the moment:
• A face to face interview with Aditya Gautam (a volunteer) working in
the Aam Admi office at Kaushambi, Ghaziabad, Uttar Pradesh, India
Q-1: What was your passion to join the Aam Admi Party?
Ans: The idea of “Swaraj” or self-rule, struck me recently. I think the
flaw doesn’t lie in corruption, it is in us. I idealise Arvind Kejriwal. His
clear vision, honesty touched me. Arvind has magic in him. He has the
potential to establish himself and I am with him.
Q-2 : “Swaraj” is a very idealistic concept, what is the practicality you
see in it?
Ans: Yes, I do accept that there are problems associated with it. This
concept may seem idealistic now and would take 15-20 years to get
implemented and integrated. Although it is a long process, it shall be a
fruitful journey.
Q-3: The Aam Admi Party has its own website. It is connected to
Facebook, Twitter, online registration as a volunteer of AAP,
thunderbolt campaigns. Technical panache in a political party is a new
concept in Indian politics. Please Comment.
Ans: Well, indeed! Arvind Kejriwal is from IIT (Indian Institute of
Technology). Being from a technical background himself, I think it’s
quite natural that technology is being used in the AAP. Many of our
volunteers are also from technical backgrounds.
Q-4: Throw some light on the selection of candidates.
Ans: What MLAs do isn’t rocket science! The process of candidate
selection here was looking for decent managers. The process was
fairly simple and we selected the candidates who stood out best in
managing skills. People who would handle the society from the bottom
to the top; not view it from the top to the bottom.
Q-5: Honesty is the keyword in AAP. What would happen if people in
your party become corrupt?
Ans: This is where the Lokpal Bill comes into picture. We plan to
pass the Lokpal Bill even before they can even think of getting corrupt.
Q-6: Don’t you think that is a loophole?
Ans: No, it is the plug in the loop hole. We want to work towards
ending corruption and promoting decentralization.
Q-7: In the Lokpal Bill proposed by AAP even the Prime Minister of
India can be questioned while in office. Do you think this approach is
right?
Ans: I believe in making a country where no one gets away with
anything. He/she being the Prime Minister of the nation is more
accountable to be answerable to the public. Questioning him should
set an example for the whole nation.
Q-8: In the Lokpal Bill proposed by AAP the NGOs are not
questioned about the donation money they receive. Why so?
Ans: The NGOs, I think, already come under the RTI (Right to
Information) thus there is already transparency. Plus the NGOs are
already working for a good cause so there is a soft corner for them.
Q-9: How was your experience in the AAP and how has been the
journey so far?
Ans: Initially I was working in a hotel as I had completed my HM
(hotel management) degree. But a year working in the AAP cannot be
taken away. I worked in the active campaigning as well as with the
central team managing all the online data.
I also worked with Sunil in “Aap Ki Kranti (Your Revolution)” i.e., the
newspaper started by us. Printed in Chandigarh it is distributed all
over Delhi. We print whatever the Indian media isn’t covering.
We have started a campaign “Play for a Change”, in which a couple of
guitarists along with some volunteers sing songs and distribute
pamphlets thus spreading awareness about the party.
We also publish articles that show that the surveys conducted online
are genuine and we have a strong chance of winning.
Q-10: With the elections just round the corner, what would you like to
say about AAP getting stuck in controversies?
Ans: Our Chief Editor Gopal Sharma told me almost three months ago
that this would happen. But I didn’t believe him then; I do now. Paid
journalism has laid its dirty hands on us and is playing tricks!
Q-11: What message would you like to give to your countrymen and
women, as an AAP volunteer?
Ans: It is a do, or a die, situation. I wouldn’t want to be in a country
which is so depressing to live in. Every day we walk into lavish malls
and fail to notice the plight of people sleeping right next to the malls
on the streets. Why are we so blind? I want change! Otherwise it would
be really depressing to live in such a country.
• Face to face interview with Deepak Singh (an AAP volunteer) actively
campaigning outside the metro station (Rajiv Chowk).
Q-1: Where are you from?
Ans: I am working in Chandigarh in Infosys but my
hometown is Delhi.
Q-2: What has been your moving force to be in AAP?
Ans: Actually it has many answers. First of all I am fed up with the
system; that is the biggest cause. I want my system to be more
accountable. And I need it to be people sensitive. That is why I do not
think that the current establishment is competent to deliver it, but the
AAP definitely is. That is why I am supporting it.
Q-3: So you believe in it?
Ans: Yes. I definitely believe in the AAP. They have chosen good
candidates. So far whatever they have done is in the national interest.
It is all ethical.
Q-4: Your belief is a blind belief or do you think it is a very practical
belief?
Ans: It is very practical. Look, the reason that I believe that the model
of “Swaraj” can work is because I work in a company myself. There
most of the things are driven by people. I feel that if people are given
charge they can take decisions which are in their best interest.
Q-5: The AAP being a new party among the experienced BJP,
Congress and other political parties. Do you see it as a disadvantage
or advantage situation?
Ans: Well, I see it as an asset. We are new to politic but full of energy.
And when you talk about experience I don’t think experience counts
much in the face of intentions. So as long as the person’s intentions
are correct he/she can do the work of a politician. He/she is not
necessarily supposed to be technically aware but he is supposed to be
close to the pulse of the people. For that you need honest intentions, a
clear vision and the willingness to implement it.
Q-6: How is your experience standing outside the metro station and
campaigning for AAP; especially when you are from the IT sector and
spend most of your time sitting and work in front of the computer?
Ans: See, the biggest thing is that there is a lot of energy around
among the people. You do not get the feeling that you are doing
something out of place. It is something which the people want. It is
something which people are inviting with open hands so you
automatically stand out.
Q-7: How long have you been a part of this process?
Ans: Active campaigning; I do it whenever I come to Delhi on
weekends.
Q-8: So you come all the way to Delhi from Chandigarh for
campaigning?
Ans: I have to come. It is nothing out of place that I am doing. I feel
the urge so I HAVE to come.
Q-9: What would be the message you would like to give to the
Engineers that would provoke their typical mind-set or make them
think?
Ans: What I would say is that in life there are multiple things which
are important. At some point of time family is important; at some point
of time your job is more important; sometime your health is more
important and similarly your society is equally important.
Because if any one of these falls out you are definitely going to be in
trouble as an individual or as a community. So it is important to take
out time for your society so that things work out as planned. If an
Engineer you don’t get a satisfactory job in your country it is certainly
going to impact you and your family. So we should do something
about it rather than just hoping someone would do something about it.
I just want people takeout some time and do something like just
sharing statuses on Facebook or standing outside the metro station
campaigning even fighting elections it’s up to the motivation of the
person. But they must do something about it otherwise nobody else
will!
Among the hustle bustle of CP (Connaught place) a group of
young men stand gossiping with "I want swaraj" topi's (caps) on their
head. A couple of foreigners crossing the street are smiling; they are
wearing the AAP topi (cap) on their head. The auto driver, sweeper,
vendors serving burgers everyone seems to have the AAP Topi on
their head. The message is loud and clear "I want Swaraj (Self-Rule)”.
Walking towards the AAP office at the 41 Hanuman Temple Road,
Connaught Place will draw a smile on your face. Whether or not you
are a supporter, the ambience makes you happy. Groups of people are
standing with AAP Topis asking anyone passing by to accept them,
some are discussing about the upcoming elections, and autos parked
nearby contain posters of "broom" i.e. the election symbol of AAP.
FACE TO FACE INTERVIEW WITH MR. KARAN SINGH (a volunteer)
inside the CONNAUGHT PLACE OFFICE IN DELHI. Stepping inside the
office you will find posters, pamphlets, banners all ready to be sent to
various parts of Delhi. People from all age groups, both educated and
uneducated, make it to the AAP office in CP (Connaught place).
Q-1: What has been your motivation to be in AAP?
Ans: AAP has given me a platform. I used to work earlier also in the field of social service since my student life.Arvind kejriwal's mission is to bring swaraj.Before the revolt there wasn't any credible face to follow and look up to. The search of a leader was on and arvind's leadership is what we were searching for. A platform not only for me but for every common citizen of india.
Q-2: AAP is more technology oriented. Do you think that because of
this the old generation is lagging behind in joining AAP?
Ans:
Since the party started you will observe that there has been an increase in
volunteers above the age of 45 years. Although more of the youth is
associated with us right now. But it may not be visible at the moment
but we are trying to include people from the older generation as well.
There are some examples of people above the age of 80 years, who are
also here. Some uneducated youth and the elderly who never use the
internet are here.
Q-3: Removal of corruption and bringing swaraj. Don't you think that
it is a very idealistic concept?
Ans: Before joining I wanted to know the ideology of AAP. The
concept of swaraj is idealistic right now but would be practical in the
coming years. As the RTI (Right to Information) Act has made an
impact, the Lokpal (Ombudsman) Bill will too.
Q-4: Please tell us more about the candidate selection procedure.
Ans: Candidates were selected by filling a form along with all your
details. Then shortlisting was done. After that background checks
were done and AAP volunteers conducted a voting session in their
areas and most popular candidate was chosen. Two things were
ensured that the candidate shouldn't be corrupt and loose in
character.
Q-5: How is AAP different from the other political parties of India?
Ans: People associated with AAP are working without any salary they
just have thoughts of change and social service in their mind. It is a
group of self-motivated and selfless people with a hope in their heart.
The revolutionary leadership of Arvind is with us.
Q-6: AAP is a new party, please comment on the recent
controversies the AAP is facing.
Ans: We haven't done politics but we have seen it.I think we will be able to establish ourselves in indian politics.
Q-7: If Arvind Kejriwal is the strongest link of AAP, then what is the
weakest link?
Ans: Well, the decorum of the people associated with AAP. This
needs some attention. AAP is a fairly new party and work should be
done to establish stability among the members. The process of
conducting presentations and seminars for the people associated with
AAP to tell them about the ethos of the Party is essential.Establishment of a proper code of conduct should be
done for the AAP volunteers. A culture is lacking right now and it
needs to be worked upon. Although people associated with us are honest.
Q-8: But Sir is honesty enough?
The use of negative language by Kumar Vishwas (an AAP
candidate) is not justified when he said that he keeps the Padma Shree
(an honour award given in India) on the tip of his shoe.
Ans: No,
establishment of a culture is lacking. we need to develop that.
Whenever any volunteer joins AAP. i always tell them that they should
keep Arvind in their heart whenever topi is on their head.
Q-9: Please tell us about the work taking place here in CP.
Ans: It has become the main centre of our campaign because Arvind ji
is living here.There is arrangement for people coming from other
states. a lot of work is being done here because of the greatest
connectivity of this office with other areas of Delhi. Active campaigning,distributing
AAP topis to whosoever is willing to accept one, setting up of banners,
distributing pamphlets etc., is taking place.
Q-10: What is your message for the public from the side of AAP.
Ans: The effort which should have been made earlier is taking place
now. I have never voted in my life because i couldn't find the right
person to vote for. The public of India says candidate of BJP is
corrupt, candidate of Congress is corrupt, and who should I vote for?
But now they should not let this opportunity slip away from their
hands.
PRAGYA KAPIL
Student Journalist
Thursday, December 5, 2013
Aam Admi Party !!!!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment