1. Prayaas is a Non-Government organization, started by the students of the College of Engineering Roorkee in the year 2010.It conducts blood donation camps, clothes donation camps, detoxification of the RiverGanges, and free health check-up camps.
    Interviews of the Founder, the Co-coordinator and Members of Prayaas
    • A phone interview with the Founder of Prayaas:Mr. Nikhil Singh, a former student of the College of Engineering Roorkee.
    1) What was your motivation to start Prayaas?
    Well, no motivation. One day, I just saw an old man without clothes and outside the College auditorium had a discussion with my friends. Discussingthe practiceof tearing of clothes by boys during the Holi festival in College, while there were still people who didn’t even have clothes to wear, made me think, and Prayaas started.My grandfather a social activist has also been my motivation.

    2) How did you manage the finances to start Prayaas?
    My own pocket money! Yes. Initially we had no money. Then the addition of members and money donated by them raised the funds. Currently I am working and have set away an amount from my salary.Sometimes, we get some petty donations from people who are not from the College.

    3) What was the attitude of the College authorities when you first brought up the idea?
    Initially the attitude of the College authorities was highly supportive. The then Registrar Colonel G.S Bist, helped us a lot. In fact the NGO is registered in his and my name. But gradually I felt the support of the College declined.

    4) The initial “idea” that you had in mind when starting Prayaas; was it implemented?
    Yes, indeed! We started a model whose motive was to help others and we succeeded; that too without any money to start with.My idea is simple, when you feel that you are privileged enough in life to help others, find a village; help feed those who do not have enough to eat; give used clothes to those who cannot afford to buy them; try to educate them. Help in building a society where at the least people don’t suffer due to non-availability of basic amenities like foodand clothes, and the facility of receiving education.

    5) What is your message for the members ofPrayaas and the College students?
    As for Prayaas I want to dissolve it! Oh don’t misinterpret. I feel that we should reach that level of stability in society where people readily help each other, and there is no need for a separate platform to do that.I hope that such a day comes soon where no longer separate social service platforms would be required, and society is strong enough to help the needy.

    • A phone interview with a founder member of Prayaas: Mr. ParitoshShrivastava
    1)What was your motivation be a part of Prayaas?
    In my first year of College I saw everybody celebrating Holi in a different style. Boys were tearing each other’s clothes; such scenes shocked me. I was depressed to see that when there were people in the world who lacked the minimum clothing to clothe their dignity; such activities were also taking place. My seniors also shared similar ideas and this was the first time I collected clothes and donated them.
    2) Do you think the College authorities are supportive for your cause?
    Well, when somebody talks about doing a social service they are ready. But when the name and authorization of the same comes into picture that is when the problem arises.
    I feel that there is certain gap between the students and the authorities. Youth have a different point of view. They want to act immediately and smartly. The authorities on the other hand take time to accord any permission and sometimesit’s just too long and frustrating.It is then that it starts getting difficult.This gap should be bridged.
    3)How has Prayaas influenced you as a person?
    The initial thoughts while starting Prayaas were only to do something; something for the needy. But after the NGO started, everything changed. I changed as a person became more responsible (laughs).
    After another 5-6 years I want to devote myself to this kind of work. This is all I have in mind.
    The thought is to preserve that feeling of doing something not advertising the name!
    6) Your best moment in the NGO?
    In one of the clothes donation camps we went to distribute some winter clothes. It was around first week of December and the climate of Roorkee was cold. As we reached and took out some coats a few 8-10 year kids came running towards us to receive them. I was both surprised and awed.That sight is still fresh in my memory.The discarded College coats which had no importance for us were so important for these children.
    7) Your message for Prayaas volunteers?
    I would just like to say that do not run after the name, follow the motive behind the name.
    • A face to face interview with the present co-ordinator of Prayaas: Mr. Prashant Sharad
    1)How is your experience working as a co-ordinator of Prayaas?
    It is a tough job.The co-ordinator’s job is totally different from just working as a member.My greatest motivation is my team which is highly supportive; especiallythe girls. Even after so many restrictions on out-pass and leave permits, the girls in the NGO have done a commendable job.I have been in other College committees and clubs but I think Prayaas is the best.The only thing that makes me sad is the lack of support from the College management and coping with the Prayaas events and College rules and regulations is difficult sometimes.
    2)How do you manage the events conducted by the NGO?
    Firstly, blood donation camps require the right information to be given out to the donors.
    In this event we remove the myths and confusions regarding blood donation and try to bring out more people to donate blood. Although we do not keep any specific target to collect certain blood units but the more the better it is.
    Secondly, in events like cleaning the Ganges,deciding upon the apt weather for the event is the most important task. It is mostly conducted in the 1st week of December.
    In other events too selecting the right person for the right job is a must.Like a member who is good in communication skills can motivate people and pass on the message of the good cause.
    3)What are the problems faced by you while working in the NGO?
    I was demoralized to see that the 20 dustbins placed by us near GangesGhats had turned into show pieces.
    Working for a good cause and people failing to recognize it pinches my heart.
    Well, I think Prayaas is working for a cause and we are not working for fame.
    When I think about the future, the motto of “selfless service” is somewhat degrading. Some of the members are trying to transform it to materialism just to take the NGO to a bigger platform.
    4) Your best experience in Prayaas?
    The education campaign is my best experience in Prayaas. Going to the village “Belda” (near Roorkee)
    And teaching children of the low caste with no educational background and lack of food and clothes gave me satisfaction.The additional walk of 4km after taking the local transportation from College and the attitude of trying and teaching the children always brings a smile on my face.
    5) Your message for your juniors?
    At the end I would just like to request my juniors to follow the motto of Prayaas i.e., selfless service.
    If we demolish it, we are demolishing Prayaas.

    • A face to face Interview with a member of Prayaas :Ms.Divya Bansal
    1) How is your experience working for Prayaas?
    It was a ‘wonderful experience in one word. I donated blood four times. I helped those in need.It feels so good working for others.

    2) How did Prayaas impact your life?
    It gave me a platform to help others.I donated blood; gave away my clothes and even taught children.I always wanted to help people and joining Prayaas just made it possible.

    3) You will pass out of College soon, how do you plan to continue with Prayaas?
    I would love to visit Collegewhenever I find time and help the NGO in whatever way I can.
    I would spread awareness at my own level also, by asking my colleagues to come forward.
    I would also like to help the NGO financially as I would be working.

    A growing initiative of selfless service touching the lives of the needy, Prayaas has made a difference and will continue to do so!

    Student Journalist
    Pragya Kapil.